Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Conspiring to do good

About a month ago, after witnessing a (not uncommon) raucous bout of bickering over something (insignificant) or another between my little ones, I lectured had a discussion with them about how they needed to learn to work together toward a common goal, be respectful of one another, compromise, yada yada yada ....

A day or so later, we were traveling in the car on a Saturday excursion and I noticed my youngest whispering something to her brother with a sly twinkle in her eye. Not wanting to intrude on this private pow-wow, I restrained myself from doing so.

Later, having inwardly noted how pleasant our little outing had been, I asked the eldest, What did your sister whisper to you in the car?

Oh, he said, She just told me, 'Jared, I have an idea..... Let's not fight.'

When I complimented him on how well they had done, he just answered by saying, Well, we just set a goal.

So easy. So nonchalant. So it's-no-big-deal-Mom.

Two epiphanies:

1 -- They DO (on occasion) listen to our words of wisdom and instruction.
2 -- It IS possible for these little people not to squabble incessantly.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

That's great! I'd love for them to share this story with own children! :-)

Vanessa said...

wow, I am impressed with this type of goal setting. I like it.