Friday, February 19, 2010

Eva, oh Eva

I fell in love this week.

It was unexpected. It was magical. It was puppy love. Literally.

I mean, who can blame me? Just look at that face!

(This is Eva, who came to visit us this week all the way from New Mexico with my husband's sister and brother-in-law. I already miss her.)

This cat person is slowly being converted.

What a treat to be greeted at the door after a long (okay, not so long) day at work, by an energetic, bouncy little creature who is so happy to see me she is beside herself with joy! Instead of being greeted (if I am greeted at all) by a whining cat whose only reason for dragging his white self off of the black slacks I left on my bed is to see if I would put some meat paste in his bowl.

How yummy to have the little big-eared love bug snuggle up next to me and fall fast asleep. You think that cat snuggles up to anyone? Truly, he is defective.

How convenient that any tiny morsel of food dropped on the floor is instantly sucked up by the little four-legged bissel. The cat? Useless. In fact, he won't even eat his OWN food that HE drops on the floor.

So what is keeping me from giving in to this irrational love feeling? What's stopping me from "accidentally" letting the indoor-only cat outside on a cold night?

It's the licking. So much licking. Can somebody please explain the incessant licking? I don't want my face licked. I don't want my hands licked. I don't want my toes licked. Really, I don't. Do they make a dog who doesn't have this insatiable need to put its tongue on everything? I almost wouldn't mind receiving her little doggy kisses if I hadn't just watched her lick the cat food off of the floor. Ugh. The licking is just too much.

That cat (who at this very moment happens to be curled up next to me, purring) has no idea how lucky he is.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

lol! I think it's time for a dog.