Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A girl and her kitty

Her first word was meow.

I still remember the day she discovered him. I mean, really discovered him. It happened fast and he escaped so quickly (but not as quickly as he could have) that by the time I got the camera it was over. But I remember her face. Her face was bliss. And his little kitty life was never the same.

I always marveled at how much he was willing to put up with at her hands. Perhaps he sensed there was no malice in her touch - just pure, absolute adoration. Perhaps he sensed her gentle spirit. Perhaps he sensed that a girl with a heart as soft as hers needed a soft and pliant kitty on which to lie. Perhaps he secretly enjoyed being that kitty.

There has never been a time in her life when he wasn't in it.

Until now.


In loving memory of our sweet old man kitty, Sebastian

March 1996 - September 2010

4 comments:

Hannah said...

Oh, breaking my heart! Poor Emma. I'll pray for her heart to be comforted. That's a great collage -- maybe you could print it for her ... once the immediate crisis has passed?

Rochelle Perry said...

Oh, we have a two cats named Albert and Libby Lu. I am not looking forward to the day when this happens to us. Albert is the cat that is loved by our children around this house. I remember losing my first pet dog Daisy. It is so hard for little ones to deal with such strong emotions, but then something we all have to encounter at one point. What a great cat and daughter you have.

Rochelle Perry said...

Sorry, what a great cat you had. :-( The Lord's peace and love be with you all.

Vanessa said...

Sweet post, sweet photos. My in laws planted a tree where their dog is buried. Maybe Emma could plant a rose bush or something in memory of Sebastian.