Monday, December 19, 2011

Thanksgiving Memories

This past Thanksgiving, we packed up our minivan and headed west for some long overdue family time. We just love Thanksgiving in New Mexico! Below are just a few highlights of the many things I was thankful for...

Cousins! (first cousins once removed, that is.)

Reading time.I loved (!) listening to the kids and their beloved Aunt Bambi (not her real name) giggle with delight while enjoying the latest installment of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. She giggles as much as they do.

Cribbage with my daughter. Here she is being instructed by cribbage master Uncle Bob (his real name), who shows no mercy. Her glee at beating the pants off me several games in a row was cute. His glee at her beating the pants off me was a touch humiliating, yet also endearing. The pride of the teacher oozed from his mockery. What I loved most was her progression. At first, Uncle Bob was at her side, helping her choose her cards and count her points. Later, she began to play on her own, but a particularly confounding hand would send her running from the table, cards in hand, shouting, "Uncle Bob!!" Eventually, the time for consultations was past -- she played me mano-a-mano... and held her own.

Sibling love and goofiness. Yes, they bicker. A lot. But, as I always remind them, they love each other. I tell them often that they hit the jackpot with their sibling, because they did. He is a wonderful brother. And she is a wonderful sister. Amidst the squabbles and general annoying of one another, are pockets of sweetness -- shared candy, kind words, and bedtime "I love you"s. And hugs on a mountainside.

Snow. We had to travel up into the mountains to find it, but it was worth the drive. (There's a funny story behind this excursion. Of course - it's us.)

Hi-D-Ho. What can I say about Hi-D-Ho? If you ever find yourself in downtown Alamogordo (but, why would you?), skip the familiar fast food chains and hit this local drive in. You'll be glad you did. Get the Tiger Burger. And the Butterscotch Milkshake. Mmmm. (And wear your stretchy pants.)

White sand.In your hair. And in your pockets. And in between your toes. And in your ears. And in other ...[ahem] ... unmentionable places. If you have never been, you should visit White Sands National Monument. The largest gypsum dune field in the world. The world. It is cool. Bring a couple of sleds. And unleash your children (and yourself!) Don't be afraid to put your 41-year-old body on a sled and head down a steep sandy slope. Remember to laugh as you tumble end-over-end ever so gracefully. Make sure the video camera is rolling.

Running. In the mountains. More on this elsewhere. It was awful and awesome all at the same time.

Woodstock. An impulse buy. Because I had $4 in my pocket. And he makes me smile.

Parents who love you and never stop praying for you.
Big, goofy dogs.More on them in my previous post.

And much, much more. Glorious sunsets. The stars at night. Hot oatmeal after a cold run. Thanksgiving dinner prepared in love. A cat named Smokey. A roaring fire and warm quilts. The neighbors' hysterical pet goat. Hastings. A shooting star just for me.

And Cherry 7-Up.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Sounds like a terrific trip! And I love that photo of your two kids. It's frame-worthy.

Vanessa said...

What a great trip! It is so nice to see Titus' parents. . .it's been a long time since I have seen them. They look happy. BTW, you look good running in the mountains :)