Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Reading Adventure

Today I got to wondering. Is one ever really satisfied when arriving at the end of a book? I often feel vaguely disappointed when arriving at the final sentence.* Either the book itself was unsatisfying, or the book was so very enjoyable, that coming to the end of it could be nothing but a terrific let down. I'm generalizing, of course, grabbing the extreme examples, but am I the only one? Does this happen to you?

*The major exception to this (in my experience) is the Bible. Always satisfying. Never a let down.

Well, I know I am not completely alone, as I witnessed my daughter experience this today. We have been working on Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator for the past few weeks. We almost finished last night, but had to stop at the next-to-last chapter. So close. Today, with excitement, we picked up the book to finish the final chapter.

I was sitting on one end of the couch; she was at the other end facing me. When I came to a picture, I would turn the book for her to see, watch her expression, wait for the giggle, then turn the book back around to continue the reading. When I came to the last page (which also had a picture), I read to the last sentence and then turned the book to her so she could see the picture. I was watching her face carefully. She took in the picture, and when she looked away, that's when I realized that she didn't realize it was the end. And so, reluctantly, I told her, "That's the end."

The expression on her face spoke volumes. Utter disappointment. And slight bewilderment. Betrayal, even? It was as if I had slung a bucket of water in her face. She had to know we were close to the end, she knew it was the last chapter. But she was not prepared for the end. She was immersed in the adventure, waiting expectantly to hear what antics Charlie and his crew would engage in during their White House visit. But that will remain forever a mystery (unless there is another sequel that we don't know about).

It was a let down.

Until we picked up a new book...

And the adventure continues...

No comments: