Saturday, January 9, 2010

Cupcakes! You don't need a reason.

Although I did have a reason, on Thursday anyway. Today I didn't really have a reason, if you don't count the facts that I had a lot of frosting left over from Thursday and that we (okay, I) had not gotten to enjoy any of Thursday's cupcakes.

Why didn't I get to enjoy Thursday's cupcakes? Because they were not for me. I had been wanting to take cupcakes to my daughter's 2nd grade class for her birthday. We had just enough for her classmates, her teacher, 3 other teachers, her brother and a friend.

Today ... today I needed cupcakes. I needed to bake. Baking is therapy. For some of us, eating is therapy. Not long-term effective therapy, but I'll take my enjoyment where I can get it.

When I decided to take cupcakes to the class, I had two parameters -- 1) I did not want to take store-bought cupcakes. 2) I did not want to make boxed cake mix cupcakes. Having queried the girl and finding out she wanted strawberry cupcakes, I commenced my search. And found this recipe for Pink Strawberry Cupcakes.

I think hers are prettier than mine, but no matter. They are delish.

I frosted mine with cream cheese frosting (simple recipe from Better Homes & Gardens). For the kids' batch I didn't tint it and just spread it on the tops plain jane style. Today, I tinted it pink and broke out my old Wilton decorating tips. Took me a minute to find my groove, but I like the way they turned out. I even got Emma into the decorating action (as if I could stop her) and she came up with her own unique designs (not pictured).

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Your cupcakes are the cupcakes mine can only dream of resembling. Simply gorgeous!

Vanessa said...

Girl, you indeed got your groove on! How about I bring you a scrumptious piece of vegan chocolate cake, and you bring me a strawberry cupcake?