Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Not a book review

I just finished reading a book that, yet again, was brought home for my children, and, yet again, became mine. I intended to sit down and write a little review of this book. Because I liked it. But as I was composing my little review in my head, I came to realize that all I really wanted to do was share a quote from the book. Just one. Because her words are better than mine. So, here it is. It's a little melancholy, but then again, recently, so am I.
Looking out over the city, Peter decided that it was a terrible and complicated thing to hope, and that it might be easier, instead, to despair.
The Magician's Elephant
by Kate DiCamillo

This is the reason that I read. Because I, myself, am so limited in my own ability to express, or even to understand, the hidden inner workings of my own fragile heart. This is why I read. Because it consoles the heart to discover that another has articulated for me the very thought, emotion, desire, that my own utterance is too weak to convey. This is the reason that I read. Because my soul is moved by the quiet power of language. Because I admire and appreciate those with both the ability and the desire to construct it into a thing of beauty and of meaning and of weight.

They are just words. It is just a story. But in the hands of the gifted few, the words become potent, full of impact and of recognition and of healing.

This is why I read. What about you?

2 comments:

Hannah said...

When I read that book to Eliza, my private opinion was that it was really meant more for adults than children.

Why I read: To escape. To understand and connect deeply with other human beings. To laugh, to weep, to long for a character to become more than he or she was. To become that way myself. I believe the best books make us want to become better -- to choose the noble over the selfish, to look beyond temporal things and our narrow, private worlds.

And everything you said, so beautifully.

Anonymous said...

bloody hell. Well put, from a woman who thinks she relies on others to articulate her feelings...(smile). How many times have I stopped dead in my tracks (most of my reading is done while walking through our fields with our dogs) and literally holding the pages to my heart, the author has 'gotten it' perfectly. Most recent example? I too have been melancholy lately, almost two years after the loss of an important family member...when I staggered along the muddy edge of a field, and read this: "She would always be living her life backwards, she realized, trying to regain something perfect that she'd lost."

thanks for your blog, I will be visiting it for the same reason I eavesdrop on interesting conversations - to get a hint of what to read next, what to examine next. Tracy (bluebuthappy.blogspot.com)