Monday, March 8, 2010

Surprise!

This past weekend we traveled to Houston for another of my son's gymnastics meets. We were excited that my parents made the long trip from Florida to see their grandson compete, and that my brother rearranged his work schedule so that he and his wife could also attend. It was a whirlwind mini family reunion.

We arrived Saturday morning and spent the day visiting and playing karaoke on the PlayStation (more on this later). My sister-in-law was baking a cake, which I assumed was for a belated birthday celebration for my son. That night we went out for dinner and when we returned to the house, I hopped on the computer to check Facebook my e-mail. Which is when people started acting strangely, whispering furtively, closing doors, giggling faintly, scattering like rats. I didn't pay this behavior much notice, subconsciously assuming they were getting ready to surprise the boy. Eventually my brother appeared with that feigned-innocence-but-I-really-have-something-up-my-sleeve grin of his, and beckoned me to come into the other room. I still had my coat on.

When I turned the corner I saw my family - my mother, my brother, my sister-in-law (who I really just want to call my sister), my son, my daughter, and my husband - all with big, joyous we-sure-pulled-one-over-on-you smiles on their beautiful faces. And I saw the lovely cake with the candles that tipped me off that this celebration was indeed not for my 11-year-old son, but for his 40-year-old* mother. Balloons cascaded from the landing above (that's where my dad was, in case you were wondering.) They sang 'Happy Birthday' (gloriously off-key as tradition dictates it must be sung.) I still had my coat on.

*I'm not actually 40 yet. I still have 8 more days left at 39. It's important to clarify.


I'm not a party person, I don't like crowds, and I embarrass easily. So I don't generally dream of a surprise birthday bash. But present in the room that night were the people that I love most dearly in all of the world. And I knew in that moment that they love me most dearly in return. It was the perfect surprise. So, precious family: Thank you. And I love you, too.

3 comments:

Raji P. said...

So so lovely!! Happy birthday, Stephanie! Welcome to the club! 8 days from now.

Hannah said...

Oh my goodness, how sweet! It sounds perfect for you - a surprise, but only with people close to you with whom you feel very comfortable. Happy Birthday!

Dyovana said...

hello and my brazil kisses