Monday, May 3, 2010

An embarrassment of riches

I told you exactly 2 weeks ago, as I giddily professed my love for the local library, about my latest stack of books. Six books, to be exact. Books which are due in exactly 1 week. You knew I was kidding when I said I was going to try to read ALL of them in my allotted 3 weeks, right? Just a little literary embellishment. I do that sometimes. Seriously - 6 books read in 3 weeks just isn't going to happen. Not by me, anyway. Especially since two other books I had put on hold became available last week, increasing my stack to 8. Talk about too much of a good thing.

A few I will finish, a few will be renewed, and a few will be returned to the library until next time.
  • Franny and Zooey -- Finished!
  • The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Writings -- I inadvertently left off the "and Other Writings" when I listed this last time. I have finished the Tell-Tale Heart (all 5 pages of it - whew) and am tackling some of the other stories/poems when the mood strikes. (Honestly, though, the mood for Poe does not seem to strike often.)
  • The Count of Monte Cristo -- I'm on page 174 (of 580) and am completely enthralled.
  • Wintersmith - Emma and I started this one, but, as she is currently enthralled with her own chapter book in which she has been working on for a while, we have not gotten very far.
  • NurtureShock -- This is one of the newcomers to the stack and I'm about 2 chapters in. I allowed it jump ahead in line because (due to its apparent popularity) someone else already has it on hold, so there will be no renewing.
The rest of the stack, The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Handmaid's Tale, and Foundation (the other newcomer, by Isaac Asimov) may not get cracked at all this go-around. But it's okay. I prefer to have too much of a good thing than none of it.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Oh, I do the same thing -- "overbuy" at the library. It's fun.

You are the FOURTH person I know to mention NurtureShock. What do you think of it?

Also, The Count of MC is on my to-read list. You are the SECOND person in the last month to recommend it.

I love swapping book recommendations with people! Thanks for sharing.

Raji P. said...

I have the Count in hardcover if you want to borrow it and return the library copy. (under no circumstances are you to cave in and rent the movie instead.. esp the recent ones. Promise??)

I have NurtureShock for the 2nd time in 2 months. I hate reading under a deadline (and 3 weeks is a tight deadline!) so I just did not even bother to open it the first time. This time I am reading it, or was, until a few days ago. Thanks for the reminder.

I have become a Holding monster. Am addicted to putting books on hold and asking for it at my library. Poor library folks, all that book traveling for people like me.

Stephanie said...

Hannah: I like NurtureShock (although I'm not that far into it yet) - it challenges your assumptions, backed up with research. Very interesting.

Raji: I must confess that I have seen the movie (the recent one), but it was long ago when I probably wasn't even aware there was a book! And since my mind is slowly slipping away, I don't remember much of it. I'm loving the book and am so close to finishing it (about 150 pages - yea!)