Thursday, June 17, 2010

Haiku fun

A few weeks ago, my son excitedly related to me his idea for a new game. I encouraged him to write down his ideas and create the rules so we could play it. For your family's game night pleasure, I proudly present to you:

"Quicku"

(If any Parker Bros. reps are trolling the internet for new game ideas, we do expect to see some royalty checks when you roll this one out.)

The basic rules are as follows. The game consists of 10 rounds. In each round, a subject card is drawn. (We made our own subject cards, including the following subjects: gum, noodles, soccer, pizza, a rainforest, birthdays, a purse, vegetables, gymnastics, etc.) Each player then has 90 seconds to write a haiku about that subject. Players start with 100 points. You lose 10 points if you fail to complete your haiku, or if your haiku does not follow the proper format. (The scoring needs a little tweaking, and I think some sort of creativity bonus needs to be added in, but for that each round would require an objective judge. I expect you folks from Parker Bros. to iron out all those details.) At the end of the game, whoever has the most points wins.

We actually played the game to test it out. We had fun! Here are a few of our haikus.

Chewing gum is fun
Blowing bubbles is crazy
Gum sticks to your shoes

Pizza is tasty
I like good pepperoni
There are healthy herbs

Made out of leather
Women wear purses a lot
Men do not wear them

Cheese and mushrooms, yum
Dripping, cheesy pizza slice
Wow, I'm getting fat

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Excellent. Thanks for reminding me to try this out!

vivek soni said...

Hi, I am from India. I came across your blog. I enjoyed reading the whole text. Good luck.