Sunday, June 13, 2010

We love Wii

Ladies and gentleman, the Wii has arrived. And just whose Wii is it? The children's Wii? No, no, no. It is ours. Said Wii was purchased with anniversary cash (thanks Mom & Dad!). It is ours! OURS! We may occasionally allow the cute little people in the house to play it.

Truthfully, though, I imagined the Wii would be ours primarily in name, the kids' in action. But as it turns out, we really like the Wii. As a gift it ranks way up there with the trampoline we got my husband for his birthday one year. After the kids go to bed, we fire that thing up! I can just picture them, tucked snug into their little beds at 8:30, listening to their parents playing the Wii, filled with all kinds of jealously. Poor kids - it's not even dark out at 8:30 in the summer.

My favorite game so far - table tennis. It is, in fact, one of the very first things I did this morning. Sleep til 9:30 (not the norm, but I had a crazy week and my husband had mercy on me), eat a little cereal, play a little ping pong. My daughter was watching me. In the course of play, as I put the hurt on one of my challengers, I did take a moment to explain to her that we only talk smack to our simulated opponents; if we were playing a real game against real people, we would be most respectful, exercising our good sportsmanship. (Yes, top-notch parenting while wildly swinging a remote around my living room. It's impressive.)

The husband's favorite game - golf. Of course. Why does golf bore me so? The upside of Wii golf, though: my husband isn't gone all weekend getting sunburned and I get to chat with him while he tries to make a putt for birdie (is that a thing?) He loves that. I mean, doesn't every man think to himself, Man, golf would be so much more awesome if only I could bring my wife along with me and we could chat about her day and the kids and what we need from the store and which bills are due.... Oh ... they don't? Oh.

If only we had a second Wii remote, we could really heat things up and I could practice good sportsmanship. And I haven't forgotten the original dream: the Wii Dance Dance Revolution. But I only plan to play that one when my kids have their friends over.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Woohoo! Hey, one of our summer plans is to host a Wii Sports Tournament. Clearly, we need to invite you and your dh!
Confession: I like golf, too. My second favorite is tennis. Tim plays more than I do, though. Guess I'm a stick in the mud!

Vanessa said...

Welcome to the Wii club! It is hardly touched in our house. It was used all the time upon its arrival, but after a month or so, it stayed in its cabinet-every day. I am glad you like it more than the kids. . .is that possible?