Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Best Birthday Present Ever

My husband is a genius. For his birthday this past September, he asked for something big. He asked for ...

a trampoline.

What a strange thing for a forty-something-year-old to request for his birthday, you may say. Indeed. But seeing as how he never asks for ANYTHING, I was more than happy to make the purchase.

And what a wonderful present it has been! Weather permitting, the kids are on it. Even as I type, they have cajoled my husband into joining them on this unseasonably warm Saturday morning. The laughter and squeals drifting into the house are delicious. They have created their own games - for example, the Stay-Away-From-The-Bottle-While-Jumping game (this game involves a water bottle and 2 energetic youngsters.) They have befriended the cutest (so I hear) little green bug who they apparently see quite frequently on the netting. My son, the budding gymnast, has a place to hone his skills. And it is also a handy thing when I perceive he needs some cooling off time - I simply send him to "jump it out". How can one's emotions remain bottled up whilst jumping and bouncing and twirling and flipping?

Yesterday, I finally allowed myself to be dragged outside to join in the fun (Emma had been begging and pleading with me ALL DAY to PLEASE come and jump). We had a blast! And I think I may have even gotten some (unintended) exercise.

So, happy birthday, Titus! I can't wait to see what you ask for next year.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

restraining ... jealousy ... with ... difficulty ...

I will totally come bounce with you! Hurray for your brilliant husband! :-)