Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Science Fair Fun



The kids turned in their science fair projects this week.

It almost felt like I was turning in my science projects. Perhaps that is because nearly our entire weekend revolved around the completion of said projects. And perhaps it is because the fact that all the work was crammed into one weekend reflected a failure on my part, not theirs, so I felt the urgency rather keenly. I couldn't help but feel my own procrastinating nature was in part a cause of the delay (although my husband assures me we really couldn't have worked it out to start sooner due to illnesses and our new jam-packed after-school schedule). And perhaps it is because the restraint it takes to guide a young, inexperienced student through the process of planning and carrying out a project according to strict guidelines feels like an incredible amount of work. It is not easy to bite your tongue and hold back your own ideas and let your children work things out on their own.

Boy, am I pooped!

But, oh so proud! This was Emma's first science fair project. First-graders are not required to complete a project, but having been exposed to the regional science fair last year with her brother (oh, the glory! the glamour! the ribbons! the Jim Spencer!), she was determined to do one. (Incidentally, she was the only one in her class to turn in a project, which rather surprised me.) She did a fantastic job. I am most proud of the effort that both she and he put into it. Especially on our condensed schedule, I expected much more frustration and general belly-aching. They didn't give up and never lost their enthusiasm.

The most satisfying moments were listening to Jared's excitement and anticipation to present his project in front of his class and hearing Emma say (mostly to herself), "I'm proud of me." I'm sure I remember both of them exclaiming at some point over the weekend, "Science projects are fun!"

What? Learning is fun? Awesome.


1 comment:

Hannah said...

"I'm proud of me." That's wonderful.

Didn't we see you at the science fair last year? Too bad we're not entering this year!