Wednesday, January 14, 2009

How does the story end?

Prior to our Florida road trip adventure, we checked out a multitude of books and books on CD from our local library to keep us (i.e. the children) entertained along the way. One of my selections was "A Horse and His Boy", by C.S. Lewis. But, alas, my dear children were not interested in listening to this Narnia tale during our travels (no matter how many times it was gently suggested).

So, last week I decided I would listen to it by myself, having not read the book in years and having only a vague remembrance of the plot. It has been very pleasant having an old, familiar story read to me while I am idling in traffic -- much better than listening to the radio with its inane talk, useless traffic updates and unending pledge drives (I intend no offense to NPR - I very much enjoy NPR).

The books and CDs we had checked out for our trip were nearly overdue, so I renewed the Narnia tale online and turned in the rest on Tuesday.

Well, this morning I came to the end of CD #3, just before some climactic battle was to take place, and when I reached down to grab the case for CD #4, I discovered - no case. Inadvertently, I had returned the set (minus CD #3, of course) to the library with the other books and CDs. Arrrgh. Now I will have to make time to go to the library, explain my error and check the set out again so I can listen to the last few chapters. Not that I don't already know how the story ends - I do remember now. And I could just go grab the book off of my son's shelf and read it to myself, but I rather enjoyed being read to.

The funny thing about deciding to listen to it myself without the children, is that when they were with me in the car and it was playing, they were so enrapt! And so INDIGNANT that I would listen without them! Now they are hooked (cue conniving laughter - they have fallen into my trap! mwah-ha-ha-ha!) and I have promised Emma that when I check it out again, I will allow them (if I must!) to listen to the WHOLE story.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I totally hear you about your CD case woes! I'm sure the library cringes when they see me coming these days, but you are not alone.
I love how it worked out that you hooked them. There is a homeschooling philosophy called Thomas Jefferson Education, that emphasizes "you, not them." The parents are supposed to inspire the children by always having something of quality that they themselves are visibly reading (or listening to!)

The kids and I just finished "Marley, a Dog Like No Other," a youth adaptation of the book that inspired the movie. We laughed, we cried, it was better than CATS. Literally.