Thursday, November 11, 2010

Meet your favorite rock star author

I know Betty White thinks that Facebook is a huge waste of time, but here's is why I disagree (for the most part.)

The other day as I was scanning my Facebook page I noticed that one of my friends had posted a quick comment about an upcoming event (that very day) taking place at a local bookstore. It was the world release party (WORLD release, people) of the latest in the Diary of Wimpy Kid series. The author himself would be on hand signing copies of the book and meeting his young fans.

Being the mother of a Wimpy Kid fan, I knew I would be AWESOME MOM if I surprised my kid and took him to the event. A quick internet search provided all the necessary information. With an assist from my husband and a quick call to my Facebook friend, we were armed with a plan to head downtown, pick up our copy of the new book, and meet the man himself - Jeff Kinney. Woo-hoo!

All thanks to Facebook. Someone should tell Betty White how useful it can be. You never know, it could even help you get a gig hosting SNL.

We came. We stood in line. We slung mashed potatoes. We stood in line. We sat. We stood in line. We took pictures. We stood in line. We read the entire new book, cover to cover. We stood in line. We stood in line. We stood in line. We met Jeff Kinney. Whew.

My feet hurt. The boy's head hurt. We were hungry. We were tired. Would we do it again? You bet. Why?

That's why.

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

Awesome! There is nothing like meeting your favorite author. I can't believe you all read the book and finished it while standing in line.

p.s. you ARE an awesome mom!

Hannah said...

It was fun!! I'll get around to posting my version one of these days. Thanks for the picture!

Stephanie said...

Vanessa, there are a lot of pictures/drawings in the wimpy kid books. :) Also, when I said "we", a couple of times I really meant "he" (I neither slung mashed potatoes nor read the book.)