Friday, February 4, 2011

Snow Day

Usually Jim Spencer gets waaay too excited about these things, as all of us here in central Texas are prone to do, so last night I scoffed at the weatherman's "computer models" and their snow-filled "predictions." Snow, schmo. We went to bed around 11pm, not a flurry in sight.

We awoke at 6am and with grand anticipation checked the local tv channel where we received the happy news - no work for me and no school for the kids! I'm sorry I doubted you, Jim.

I do have to admit I was pretty disappointed with the paltry accumulation (I didn't grow up here. I know what snow, real snow, is.) But a day off is a day off, and snow on the ground is snow on the ground. And kids who have not grown up with regular snowfalls are wonderfully, blissfully easy to please in the snow department.

As I write this, around 2pm, the white stuff has pretty much melted in the withering 39 degree temperatures and blazing sunshine bearing down from a cloudless sky.

Go ahead and laugh at us, you mid-westerners, you mountain-dwellers, you snow veterans of the northeast. It's all we got. And I loved it.

I loved the glee on their cold little faces.

I loved their obliviousness to the cold & wet.

I loved their first snowball fight.

I loved their giggles and silliness.



I loved their sweet snow creations.

I loved filling their bellies and warming their hearts with hot chocolate (which they happily declared to be the best hot chocolate EVER! despite the fact that I would not allow them to adulterate it with marshmallows.)


I loved the simple beauty which lay hidden all around us.


And I loved hearing the following words, uttered by my youngest, "Thank you, Lord, for the snow."

Amen.

2 comments:

Nessa Dee said...

What fun! One of my favorite things on snow days is listening to the giggles from children echoing through the neighborhood. Yes, thank you God for the snow, and warm homes!

Vanessa said...

Thank you Lord for the snow. Nice photos Stephanie.