Sunday, August 9, 2009

Vacation Vignettes #3 - Cribbage

Cribbage Anyone?

I've mentioned previously how one of the things I enjoy when visiting my parents is getting to play cribbage with my dad, and happily on this trip we were able to sneak in a few hands.

While DH and I were on our vacation staycation and the kids were hanging with the grandparents, Grandpa figured that the eldest child (age 10) was ready to be introduced to the game. So on a free evening, Grandpa showed him the ropes and Jared even managed to squeak out a win. He was very satisfied. In fact, when telling me about it, his victory was one of the first things he mentioned. Knowing from personal experience that Grandpa does not let anyone win (oh, the memories! Risk, bowling, ping pong, gin! The man gave 100%.), I was duly impressed.

Grandpa also wanted some play time with the younger child (age 7, not quite cribbage age). Grandma suggested that they play Uno (one of our favorites). Emma resisted, being slightly more interested in Slap Jack. Again, she was prodded to 'teach' Grandpa how to play Uno.

Let it be known that this child is generally pretty clear about what she does and does not want to do. And is always up for a challenge (you just try to tell her she can't do something). Emma would not be enticed to play Uno, and even abandoned the idea of Slap Jack. She said, "No. I want Grandpa to teach me cribbage."

And that was that.

And my 7-year-old now plays cribbage.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Go Emma! May you always be so!

Eclectic Mama said...

Stick to your guns, Emma. (Maybe now you can teach me. LOL)