Monday, August 3, 2009

Vacation Vignettes #1 - Mickey Dee's

"You want fries with that?"

On the road to Florida, somewhere in east Texas...

Reluctantly conceding to patronize McDonald's for a bite on the road (mainly for the super cute Ty Teenie Beanie Babies)...

We pull up to the drive thru to place our order. Being a bit of a plain Jane and wanting to be sure to avoid mayonnaise at all costs, I inquire at the intercom, "Can you tell me what comes on the Southern Style Chicken Sandwich?"

A brief pause from the voice on the other side ... then the reply, "Pickles and butter."

Another pause while I cast an incredulous sideways glance at my husband, a glance that says, "Did he just say butter?"

"Butter?" I repeat into the intercom, seeking confirmation.

"Just a sec," the voice says, turning off the mic to (presumably) confer with the McDonald's higher-ups.

The voice returns. "Yeah. Pickles and butter."

Um, okay.

The pickles I get. Mayo, mustard, secret sauce - all possibilities I was expecting. But butter ... as a condiment?

I wondered, would it come with a thick slice of butter? Or a pat of butter? Could I get the butter on the side? Or was it the brushed-on melted butter? Would it be anti-American to ask them to hold the butter? How much more time would this special request take? And the big question - does a fried chicken sandwich on white bread really need extra butter?

Curiosity led me to later consult the ingredients list on the McDonald's website. Consider it my civic duty to inform you that the ingredients for the Southern Style Crispy Chicken Sandwich do indeed include pickle slices and melted margarine.

In the end, I opted not to get the fries.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Um, excuse me? Mickey D's Higher Ups? Margarine is SO not butter. Just FYI.

Stephanie said...

No kidding! Ick.

Vanessa said...

Sounds like a chick fillet sandwich--pickles and margarine. I never knew there was a difference between butter and margarine until college--sad huh?