Thursday, July 23, 2009

Way back when

Yesterday evening, while enjoying the sounds of the heavy rain and rumbling thunder,

Mom (ever the optimist) mused out loud, "I hope we don't lose power, I need to do laundry tonight."

Son replied, "That's okay. You can do it by hand."

To which Mom replied, with a stifled laugh and roll of her eyes, "You can do it by hand."

Son reflected, "Hmm. It must've been hard in the 70's."

Now, I know I joke about being old all the time. I don't really mean it. The 1970's are not that long gone. I will concede there are a few things we did not have in the 70's:

The internet.
CDs.
MP3s.
Cell phones.
Airline deregulation.
DVDs (you should have seen the mechanical monster of a VHS player we had!)
Digital cameras.
Laptop computers.
Go-gurt.

Yes, son, life was hard. But we most certainly did have washing machines.

And an Atari.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

And I'm going to guess that that monster VCR was a Betamax!!!

Eclectic Mama said...

Oh so apropos! Did you see my post last night? My 80s washer finally bit the dust.

A few weeks ago, one of my kids asked me - seriously - if we had television when I was a kid. "Yes, honey, but we had to watch it by the light of our tallow lanterns."

Vanessa said...

chuckle chuckle :)