Sunday, July 12, 2009

Snuggle up with a good book (and a good kid)

Yesterday, I concluded a most wonderful experience with my daughter. We finished reading Peter Pan. No, not the sugar-coated-based-on-the-Disney-movie picture book that somehow made its way onto my children's book shelves, but the original novel by J.M. Barrie. Reading this enchanting book, finally, makes me want to chuck that colorful little Disney book right out of the window.

You may wonder what took me so long to read the original story. To tell you the truth, the only exposure I had ever had to Peter Pan was the animated Disney movie, and based on that, I really had no interest in the story. Oh yeah, and Hook, the movie with Robin Williams cast as Peter. Oh, and images of Sandy Duncan in a bright green elfish-looking outfit. Yeah, no interest.

But a few years ago, I came across a delightfully well-done little movie, Peter Pan. It had a darker, melancholy feeling to it that was intriguing. (Though the movie is rated PG, my kids have not seen it - the scene with the mermaids is a little dark and creepy, which, while true to the book, knowing my kids, would be too much). Seeing this particular movie awakened the interest in me to read the original book.

As I mentioned in a recent post, my DH picked up the book for me on his library excursion with the kids. I intended it for myself, for my own solitary reading pleasure, but offered to read it to the kids (expecting to receive a lukewarm response). My daughter surprised me by taking me up on my offer, and I would be lying if I told you I wasn't a tad disappointed, thinking it would take too long to read aloud and that her waning interest would slow our (my) progress.

Happily, my prediction couldn't have been more wrong. Though I am sure a great deal went over her head, she was a superb listener - active, attentive, inquisitive. The icing on the cake (as if a good cake really needs icing) was having our own special time together to read "our" book, snuggled up on my bed, snuggled up on her bed, snuggled up on the couch. Oh, the snuggles! It took us less than 2 weeks to read it through.

I think she was perplexed (and amused) when my voice cracked and tears welled in my eyes while attempting to read aloud the sweet moment near the end when the 'gay and innocent and heartless' children returned to their mother. But, what kind of mother would I be if I didn't get a little misty-eyed over the happy reunion?

I'm trying to find a good snuggle-up-book to read with my son. But he's a tougher nut to crack. So independent and above being read to by mom. I'm thinking about Old Yeller. I have not read the book nor seen the movie, though I am, of course, acquainted with the story. What do you think? Too much? Or the perfect bonding vehicle?

2 comments:

Hannah said...

That is GREAT. Score! Now I need to see if I can get the PP audiobook. :-)
I don't think I ever read Old Yeller. I did read The Yearling -- so sad. What about Little Britches, or The Hobbit? Also, if Jared hasn't read Chasing Vermeer and its sequel by Blue Balliett, he totally should. Sorry if I'm repeating myself; can't remember if I told you that already!

Eclectic Mama said...

Oh, don't read Old Yeller; it's awful! I never did understand why that story was considered a classic.

This reminds me of all the old fairy tales, how they were actually written for adults but have somehow been morphed into children's stories. Most of them are pretty gruesome. Of course, that makes them all the more attractive to my kids. :)