Friday, June 26, 2009

The Great Book Quest of Summer 2009

With the advent of summer has come the much anticipated summertime bedtime schedule. We have been putting the kids to bed a little later and allowing them some individual reading time before lights out. I can't tell you what a pleasure it is to see my 7-year-old plugging away night by night at her chapter book.

But, for the past several nights, the 10-year-old has asked to use his reading time to play with his action figures -- because he has nothing to read. Nothing to read?? Yikes!

So I mentioned to my husband this crisis and suggested perhaps we should get these kids to the library soon to find the boy some books.

Lo and behold! This morning while I was at work, I received a text message indicating that my dear husband had ventured out with the children in search of books. Which turned out to be more of an adventure than planned, as they had to visit 3 libraries before they found one that was open on Fridays -- budget cuts. Hence, the "Quest".

Yea for Titus not giving up! (I would have gone home after finding the second branch closed.) And not only that, but remembering my recent offhand remark that I have been wanting to read Peter Pan, what did he bring home for me? Why, Peter Pan, of course!

Did the boy find something to read? Hmmm. Let's see ... 4 Far Side books, 3 chapter books, and 1 Calvin & Hobbes. I think he will be covered for a few days.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Aha, my post was indeed timely! OK, if he likes comic books, then do start him off with Rapunzel's Revenge, as it is a very well-written graphic novel. What about the Asterix books? Ian gobbled up all of Tim's. And has he read Chasing Vermeer? And the Westing Game? Both books that make you think -- and play along, trying to "crack the code."
Ian is about to start a series from the library whose first book is "A Squire's Tale." He likes medieval stuff. :-)
I think it's especially tough for boys to find quality books about characters they can relate to. It feels like there's much more for girls.
I guess he's read Hatchet, My Side of the Mountain, and the like?
Another one I keep hearing about that J might be old enough for is "The Mysterious Benedict Society."