Thursday, June 25, 2009

Welcome to Austin

I have lived in Austin for 17 years. On Monday I visited Barton Springs Pool for the very first time. I also have never seen the Congress Avenue bats.

But, lest you think I am a poor excuse for an Austinite, I have:
  • been to the State Capitol,
  • seen an IMAX movie at the Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum (on whose location I used to park when I was a graduate student),
  • strolled through the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center,
  • canoed on Town Lake (a muggy, fairly forgettable April afternoon),
  • shopped and dined at Central Market,
  • been to the top of Mount Bonnell (where my husband asked me to marry him - sure, it sounds cheesy, but was, in fact, an unplanned, spontaneous moment),
  • ambled along the Town Lake Hike and Bike Trail (I don't jog. I amble.),
  • attended a book-signing at Book People (This was fun - Mo Willems gave an animated reading of "The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!" and the kids were thrilled to meet him and get their book signed.),
  • visited the Zilker Botanical Garden,
  • enjoyed (i.e. sweated profusely) at the Children's Day Art Park in Symphony Square many a summer.
But I have now totally digressed from the original purpose of this post.

The reason I finally ended up at Barton Springs on Monday was that I was given the opportunity to play tour guide to the wife and children of a professor being recruited by my department at the University. I was happy to do so for several reasons, not the least of which being that 'work' for the day meant spending time doing fun things with my kids instead of sitting in my office.

Now, I'm not sure if this is the best way to entice someone to move here -- "Welcome to Texas! It's 101 degrees - let's spend the day outside!" But, we shall see.

We began the day with a trail ride on horseback at Bear Creek Stables. This activity had the potential to be either super fun or super not, given the heat. Happily, there was a steady breeze and ample shade, and all parties involved reported being quite satisfied. My youngest was so enchanted that she is now begging to go to their summer camp. You should have seen my tiny little child sitting atop that big ol' horse like nobody's business! My eldest was certain that he got the best horse of the bunch and afterward proudly declared that he now has 'riding experience'.

After the horses, we headed back downtown to hit the pool, stopping along the way at P. Terry's for burgers and some tasty fries!

Of course, I had heard that the water at Barton Springs was cold, but there simply is no preparing oneself for the shock of it. Almost too cold to be refreshing. (Almost. It's 100 degrees, people.) I laughed because while wading through the water, I noticed goosebumps on the arms of nearly everyone I passed. It was so cold, in fact, that my son really couldn't (or wouldn't) bear it, and sat on the edge most of the time watching the scene at the diving board. (Don't feel bad for him - he was content.) Emma wasn't too fond of the slippery bottom of the pool, but soon found her footing and had a great time with her new friends. Not once did I hear her comment on the water temperature.

And eventually Jared made his way into the pool -- right about the time we needed to leave -- and proceeded to protest the very thought of having to depart this wonderful place. Now, isn't that just typical?

To cap off the day, we were invited to attend a riverboat cruise on Lake Austin and had an enjoyable evening hobnobbing with the faculty. (Not generally a fan of hobnobbing -- still, it was a good time.) The kids had the most fun, running rampant on the boat and helping themselves to the free-flowing sodas and array of desserts. Emma was in tears at the conclusion, not wanting to leave the boat or her new found friends.














I do not know if the family was sold on Austin. I know I am.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I have to say it; I just have to: You've never been to Barton Springs before???
We took the Meades last summer shortly after they arrived in Austin. Felt like something we just had to do. The kids weren't crazy about it for the same reasons your kids weren't, but it still felt like we had introduced them to an Austin institution. :-) Your day sounds fantastic!