Saturday, June 27, 2009

Through the eyes of another

Sometimes it takes a fresh, objective eye to open your own to something that is right in front of you.

I had the pleasure of making a new acquaintance recently, and in the midst of our conversation she complimented my son and mentioned that he seemed very 'self-possessed.' I made some comment in response, at which point she elaborated on what she had meant, thinking I had misunderstood. She said he appeared to be self-confident and of a thoughtful sort, to which I agreed.

But, of course, I looked up the word as soon as I had opportunity. Just to assure myself that I really did have a full grasp of its meaning. Below is the definition from the Encarta® World English Dictionary © 1999 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

self-pos·sessed adj
confident and in control of your own emotions

When I read this, I very nearly laughed out loud.

Not once before this moment had I heard anyone describe my son with any word that implied any sort of hold on one's emotions. Oh, how I would LOVE to share this with my son's former preschool teachers - I'm sure they would appreciate the irony.

He has come a long way. As have I.

May I always remember where we have come from ...
... and never lose sight of where we are going.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Those moments are SO appreciated, aren't they? Like little lights along the runway, beacons to tell you growth is happening, with or without your help, even when you can't realize it.