Thursday, July 2, 2009

Where's Mom?

My daughter is currently watching a movie with one of her best friends who is over today for an extended play-date (i.e. sleepover). The movie is the 12 Dancing Princesses. As they came to a particular spot in the movie (in which the (worn out) king is speaking wistfully to a painting of his late wife, the queen), I overheard the following:

(All delivered in the most hushed whisper. Why they are whispering, I do not know. I am the only other person in the room and I am most clearly and actively NOT paying them any attention)

Daughter's Friend: [whisper, whisper, whisper] What happened to the queen?
Daughter: [whisper] I don't know.

(and then, with a certain authority and air of a person who knows about such things)

Daughter: [still in a whisper] You'll see in stories they just die for no reason.

So this got me to thinking:

12 Dancing Princesses - dead mother
Finding Nemo - dead mother
Brother Bear - dead mother (bear)
Cinderella - dead mother
Ice Age - dead mother
Lilo & Stitch - dead mother (& father)
Aladdin - no mother (?)
Beauty & the Beast - no mother (?)

Anyway ... just wondering.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

You know, you are absolutely right! Hm. Maybe that relationship is so complex it would complicate the film beyond what the makers could handle? I don't know. Interesting.