Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A brief trip down Memory Lane

Before we were married, my husband shared an apartment with two other college students. Over the years, I have always enjoyed hearing a good Matt & Al story from the past. They (the stories) are most amusing. One of these former roommates we see quite frequently; the other, having moved out of state, much less so.

This past weekend, we had the opportunity to have lunch with the latter former roommate. And, as it always must be when old friends are reunited after a long separation, the conversation was full of reminiscences and 'Remember that time...?' and 'Remember that cat...?' or some other such perfectly random utterance.

After spending this short span of time with his dad's old roommate, my son enthusiastically declared, "I can't wait 'til I have a roommate!" and set about questioning his dad as to how he could acquire one.

What sold him? Was it the tales of rubber band fights, stray cats, potstickers and dumplings, the belch-producing combination of Gumby's pizza and root beer? Or was it the swapping of favorite The Far Side/Calvin & Hobbes strips over burgers & fries? Or was it simply the charming experience that is Matt? I do not know, but somebody better sign this kid up.

Let's hope that when the time comes, his experience will be as sweet, and the friendship as enduring.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

Do remind Jared of his wanting a roommate when he is in his first year of college--hehe.

Hannah said...

Sweet. I was just telling my kids some college roommate stories the other day, and I think they were in awe that their mom could have been so mischievous.
I didn't realize that Titus lived with Allen!