Friday, May 13, 2011

How can you mend a broken heart?

The other evening while my attention was absorbed by a phone call, my sweet girl was sitting quietly nearby flipping through an old photo album. At one point I glanced in her direction and was shocked to see her little body hunched over, weeping. I motioned to her to find out what had happened and she lifted up the photo album to show me this:

(Not his best photo)

It has been 8 months. 8 whole months. And she still dissolves into a puddle at the sight of him. Not all the time, of course. But sometimes, still.

As I held her, I had to let her know that I still miss him, too, and think of him at the oddest of times. Like the other day when I opened up the bathroom cabinet and remembered that we always needed to keep the cabinet shut or he would simply HAVE to check it out, wide-eyed and tentative, forcing his massive girth into the small space because, because .... well, I just don't know why. I'm sure he got trapped in there once or twice. Not the brightest bulb was he. Nope, not too bright.

But gosh, I miss him!

What I wouldn't give right now to lay my weary head on his oh-so-soft, warm, motoring tummy and make him comfort me (you always had to make him) and then laugh when he immediately set about cleaning whatever area I had besmirched with my offensive human touch.

Miss you, Seb ... you big dummy.

3 comments:

K. Titus Rodriguez said...

Yeah you big dummy, I miss you too. Way to get into our hearts by being cold, dismissive and aloof for fifteen years. We love you Peabody.

Hannah said...

Aw. Poor Emma! Now that we have a dog, I can imagine more easily what a catastrophe it would be to lose a beloved pet.
May her heart always be so tender.

Vanessa said...

Maybe it's time to adopt a kitten?