Monday, December 22, 2008

Thank you, Mr. Handler

In my previous post, I mentioned my recent rediscovery of the joy to be found becoming lost in the written word, and the revelations of oneself that can come through the words of another. I would like to trace for you how this discovery came about (bear with me - this may turn into a long and winding tale).

For those of you who may not know, Daniel Handler is the real name of the author of the Lemony Snicket books, A Series of Unfortunate Events. We found these books a couple of years ago on the advice of a friend (thank you, Karen). I began reading the books with my son (and eventually my daughter, not one to be left out of the fun), which we all thoroughly enjoyed. By the seventh book (of 13 in the series), my son was no longer content to be read to, and began reading them on his own (a wonderful and bittersweet milestone!). Since I was hooked on the story at that point, what ensued was a bit of a reading race - he never wanting me to get ahead of him in the story (but I couldn't resist! sneaking in chapters after he had gone to bed.)

One of the things I enjoy about the books is the way the author peppers the story with literary references that are largely lost on the typical child. One such reference in particular was also lost on me. The 6th installment, The Ersatz Elevator, (confession: when we started this one, I had to look up the word "ersatz") contains a character named Esme Squalor. WHOOSH (this is the sound the reference made as it zoomed over my head, but it was much quieter than my typing implies.)

Some months passed, and one day as I was working on the Sunday crossword, I came across a clue that included some reference to J.D. Salinger and the name 'Esme'. Hmmm. This little clue piqued my interest and so I did a little digging (BTW, I love the internet!) I quickly happened upon the title of a short story by J.D. Salinger -- "For Esme - with Love and Squalor". Intrigued to explore this story, I found it at my local library (love, love, love the public library!) and checked it out.

This is where the rediscovery began. I SO enjoyed snuggling into bed for the night, pillows propped, kids fast asleep, and reading until my eyelids grew heavy with sleep, allowing myself to be drawn into another realm simply by deciphering printed words on a page. Ahhhhh! Sublime. Okay ... perhaps I overstate the sentiment, but it was as if I were becoming reacquainted with a long-lost and dear friend, and what is more precious than that? And so, I owe you a thank-you, Mr. Handler, for your obscure literary references, spurring my reentry into the world of literature.

Now, if I can only find the time ...

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Isn't it lovely to discover new favorite authors through reading aloud with your children? That's how I for one became a fan of Jeanne Birdsall, author of The Penderwicks. We haven't done Lemony Snicket yet but I suspect we will.

And I love crossword puzzles! And reading in bed, too! It feels so luxurious, doesn't it?