Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Yesterday's Success

Yesterday I did something extraordinary. [cue deep breath of anticipation befitting the magnitude of the coming revelation]

I invited my daughter into the kitchen with me.

Not impressed? Truthfully, me neither, but you must understand who I am to appreciate the impressiveness of it. My sweet girl, on the eve of her seventh birthday, LOVES to get involved in the kitchen. Cooking, cleaning, baking, peeling eggs, cracking eggs, stirring eggs, mixing, pouring, measuring - you name it she wants to do it. I, however, not an enjoyer of activites in the kitchen (aside from baking delectable treats), prefer to get in, get it done, and get out. You must know, young helping hands do not tend to make the work go more quickly or neatly. So most of the time, her offers (okay, pleas) to join in are brushed aside. 'Mommy doesn't have time tonight. Next time, sweetie, I promise.'

Yesterday was a busy day for us. The kids are home from school and we are preparing for our 12 hour road adventure to Pensacola Beach. There was a pile of dishes needing to be handwashed (my husband keeps vowing to toss out any and all dishes, utensils, etc. that are not 'dishwasher safe'). Knowing the kids were a little restless from being cooped up inside all morning while mom planned and gathered and cleaned and laundered, I decided to ask my darling little one if she would mind so much helping Mommy with the dishes.

Oh, the joy on her little face! For dishes. It baffles me now, but I can recall a time long ago (there are pictures to prove it) when I myself gleefully donned those yellow rubber gloves and scrubbed the pots and pans for my mother. I remember I was wearing my brownie uniform and quite possibly had on hot pink pants underneath (there may also have been a beanie involved, anyone remember the beanies?). I digress, though - my lack of fashion sense at the tender age of 8 is another topic entirely. Back to yesterday - I enlisted Emma to be my official dish-dryer and she took to her task both seriously and with enthusiasm. I expected her interest to fade early on, when she realized, 'Hey ... wait a minute ... this is ... WORK!', but it did not wane and it was delightful.

I always try to catch myself in these small and fleeting moments of simple - oh so simple! - pleasure, and safely tuck it away to savor later. Too often I allow these times to slip by undetected and what a great pity it is to lose them! My success is that in the midst of yesterday's moment, I managed to stop; I gazed into her sweet face and breathed it in - knowing fully that this is my sustenance, my nourishment for the long journey ahead.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Beautiful post, Stephanie. I have the same struggle over kitchen time with Eliza. It's so much easier to just do it myself and be efficient! Thanks for the poignant reminder.