Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Family Night

At our beloved local library. (Since we had about 20+ books that were due -- TODAY. And nothing makes me want to kick myself more than owing the local public library money for all of my free books.)

One of my favorite sights of the day:Like we aren't busy enough with the onset of school, here's our latest stack serving its dual purpose of holding down the hearth. (Notice one of the titles is Deadly Perils and How to Avoid Them. I just noticed that one. Yes, my 11-year-old son picked it out.)
So, I mentioned in my last post that I was starting Anne of Green Gables. How did I not read this book as a youngster?? Love it! I continue to be surprised each time the storytelling causes an involuntary smile to break forth on my face. In fact, the other day I was so enrapt in the book I actually ran into an old guy on campus (old guy = distinguished professor who works in my building), a collision which sent my beautiful Italian bookmark flying across the floor (recovered, unharmed.) I told you this would happen some day. Thankfully, I didn't hurt Dr. So-and-so, nobody fell down and only a few scattered people were witnesses - if they noticed, they pretended not to. To be fair (to me), he did stop very abruptly and change direction right in front of me. In the future, I'll be watching out for this guy.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Yes, how DID you miss AOGG as a girl? I thought you were just re-reading it?! Oh man, you're in for a treat. I read the whole series multiple times. Can't wait til my girls are old enough!

"Deadly Perils" sounds like something Ian would check out too! His latest library trip yielded something like "The Book for Sneaky Boys."

Mad Men Girl said...

Pssst... come over to my blog!

Vanessa said...

I have only seen the movies of Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea. I missed it too, along with many other books. So was it Dr. B??