Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Sewing Camp

Have you heard of such a thing? Well, I hadn't. But thanks to our friend, Jennifer (thank you, thank you!), now I have. And not only have I heard of it, but thanks again to wonderful Jennifer, my daughter was a happy attendee in the camp last week. For those of you who have a little girl (or boy, because why can't a boy want to sew?) who's itching to get creative with a sewing machine, just visit Austin School of Fashion Design to find out all of the camp info. As I understand it, they also have classes during the school year and even classes for adults (like me) who own a sewing machine but haven't the foggiest idea what to do with it (me) and who may be currently using their sewing machine table as a TV stand (yeah, me).

Back to my awesome girl, though. Over the course of the week she made a hat, a purse, a shoulder bag, an apron, and at least 11 little pouches. Here's a picture of her wearing most of her handiwork.

And the cute little purse with a hand-sewn button.

And the many, many pouches. Very pleased with herself, she is.

True to her generous nature, she made gifts of the many pouches to family members - I was the recipient of the chic red and black paw print pouch, which is the perfect size for my cell phone.

And this is the girl in action. No hesitation, no fear. Speedy Gonzalez, they call her.

The following project was not a part of sewing camp per se, but was more the inspiration. Jennifer has been spending some quality time with our daughter over the last couple of months and they have been working on a very special project together. This project was finished on the final day of sewing camp, providing a wonderful consummation to the week. The project was a special bag in which to carry a very special doll, Julie. Julie is the much cherished American Girl doll received for Emma's 8th birthday and Julie needed a mode of transport. Now she has it.

Stitching of the names and little dog (hard to see) done by Emma.

Jennifer and Emma (and all her stuff!)

1 comment:

Hannah said...

Wow, that's amazing! I'm so impressed that she made ALL those things in one week! Caroline totally needs a camp like this. She's forever asking me to help her sew this or that and I want to just burst into helpless tears. :-)

Where did you find Jennifer? She seems like a gem of a friend!