Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Here kitty, kitty .... Kitty?

It was so peaceful this morning. No caterwauling at 5:30am. 6:00am. 6:30am. Ahhh.

But I didn't notice the silence. I was sleeping.

I vaguely noticed when I entered the kitchen that the old man cat was not hot on my heels demanding his morning meat paste. Vaguely. I did have a fleeting thought that he must be lying dead somewhere in the house if he wasn't out pestering us (what else could keep him from his meat paste?) Eh. Whatever - the cat's moods cannot be accounted for and I needed to get to work.

I made my breakfast and prepared to leave. I finally heard a distant sound of meowing. Weird, I thought, why is he crying in the back of the house if he wants to be fed? Why doesn't the stupid oaf come to the kitchen instead of trying to wake everyone up? Again, eh. Not my problem. He knows where to come if he wants to be fed.

Almost ready to leave, I hear the meowing again, but this time I perceive the direction from which it emanates. I walk to the door that leads into the garage, unbolt it, and open it. Well, wouldn't you know it - in darts the kitty, wide-eyed, whining, a little dingy, and ravenously hungry (no surprise there).

Huh. That's weird. What is the cat doing in the garage? I do remember bolting the door the night before. I do not remember a fuzzy hulk of a cat breezing past me into the garage to explore its myriad wonders. I bet he felt pretty smug about his stealthiness until he heard the bolt click and the lights went out.

Now, we didn't lock him in the garage all night on purpose. Honest. Sure, sometimes we call him names. Stupid. Whiny. Oaf. Fatty. Dolty McDolterson ... but we really do love him. Honest. Poor little (and I use the term loosely) guy. Stuck in the stuffy, dusty, dark garage all night. No vittles. No prospect of waking up the people with his offensive odors and sounds. We felt bad. Honest. That said, you can be sure we got a good chuckle this morning over his plight.

I am baffled he was able to get into the garage without me noticing, but man, oh man, was it quiet and peaceful this morning!

You can see he's none the worse for wear (picture taken at 4:00pm today).
Um, does he still look mad?

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Poor cat! Maybe he'll be a little more appreciative of what he has from now on. Then again, he *is* a cat.

Was just wondering today what you were up to.

Anonymous said...

hahahah! I love your writing style...."pretty smug about his stealthiness..." awesome. Thanks for the chuckle!