Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Red Pony

I just finished reading The Red Pony, by John Steinbeck. It was a very satisfying little book. I would love to recommend it to my son, but I have learned that the surest way to disinterest him in something (i.e. a book) is for me to suggest it to him. [sigh]

Any strategies out there to combat this phenomenon?

I eagerly await your wisdom. In the meantime, I will share with you a little quote. It is short. It may not strike you the way it struck me. That's okay. I think its poignancy is somewhat lost out of context. But anyway.... Just picture a 10-year-old boy growing up on a ranch in northern California around the 1930s. The boy has been given a responsibility and a promise and is setting off to complete his task with a sense of earnestness and importance.
The warm morning sun shone on Jody's back so sweetly that he was forced to take a serious stiff-legged hop now and then in spite of his maturity.
That's all. Just felt like sharing a tiny tidbit. Now it is on to Anne of Green Gables.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

PLease let me know when you figure out the solution to that phenomenon, because it works its evil ways over at our house too!

Vanessa said...

Stephanie, you crack me up! I can always count on a good chuckle when I read your posts!